Swickard: Old west scum and a forgotten old west hero

Commentary by Michael Swickard, Ph.D. - Years ago at an informal meeting of tourism planners I watched as they searched for money-making ideas. One said New Mexico wastes perfectly good weekends when there are no celebrations. The “Tourist to local ratio” turns heavily local. The group agreed that we already have the local’s money, we need more tourists. So they ordered another round of drinks and brainstormed celebrations. Here are a few of the “better” ones: Dust Days (March or April), Cow Chip Days (any month), Bow Tie Days, Horned Toad Days, Siesta Days, and my personal favorite, Hot Steering Wheel Days. But seriously folks... A while back a television crew from Phoenix came to Las Cruces to do a story on famed Old West Sheriff Pat Garrett. They called on me because the idea for the television story was inspired by one of my columns.

Pat Garrett was a real life hero who was honored and respected while Billy the Kid is a myth made up in the 1926 book by Walter Noble Burns. It is an insult to the Garrett family when people celebrate a myth and forget the real story. Over the last 30 years I write a yearly column because I feel we should not celebrate an outlaw scum, who rustled cattle, stole horses and killed unarmed people.Consider this: a celebration of Pat Garrett would get national attention and, even more importantly, send the correct message about gangs and outlaws to our children. It is true that Garrett had rough edges as did many people in those days. He was no saint, though comparing Garrett to the Kid is like comparing Charlie Sheen to Charles Manson. One is a bad boy while the other is a monster.In August each year there is the Lincoln Days Celebration in Lincoln County celebrating Billy the Kid. Each year I do not go celebrate an outlaw thug. Instead, I bore my friends and acquaintances with Garrett stories. Each year I bend every elbow and ear I can find by pushing the idea of New Mexico Pat Garrett Days in Las Cruces and at the same time to give tourists to our fair state a choice of who they want to celebrate. Read more

Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment