Eric Griego Makes His Case

Eric Griego
NM Politics - Today, as we celebrate Labor Day, I express my sincere respect and admiration for the men and women of the labor movement who have worked tirelessly to protect all American workers’ dignity. All workers in this country have benefited from efforts by unions to gain safe working conditions, fair treatment at work, a fair or at least minimum wage, and the right to collectively bargain. I stand proudly behind my record of fighting for workers and their families even when it got tough as a state senator, former Albuquerque city councilor and now as a Democratic candidate for Congress. My values in public life come from my own experience as a poor kid growing up in a tough neighborhood and raised by a single parent. Because FDR, LBJ and other Democrats pushed for programs like Head Start, universal public education, civil rights, Pell Grants, and decent wages, I was able to succeed despite my humble beginnings.
To realize the American Dream, hard work is important, but not enough. Every kid and every family, not just the richest and the most powerful few, need to have the opportunity to succeed. That is why I am running for Congress and why I support the labor movement. In 2004-05, I worked closely with then-City Councilor Martin Heinrich and other pro-worker members of the Albuquerque City Council to increase the minimum wage so that the city would become a better place to work and make a living. Unfortunately, Republicans and corporate lobbyists opposed the increase, and ultimately we had to settle for a much smaller increase that was not indexed to inflation. Read full commentary here: News New Mexico

Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment