Rep. Sandra Jeff Dissatisfied with Re-Districting Games

Sandra Jeff
Capitol Report New Mexico - The speculation was right. On Sunday morning, Rep. Sandra Jeff (D-Crownpoint) told Capitol Report New Mexico she would vote against a House redistricting plan as currently proposed in caucus. “I cannot ignore the Republicans in my district,” Jeff wrote in a text message. “Let us attempt to work towards a bi-partisan plan.” With Jeff joining Nuñez, a possible vote could end up in a 35-35 tie, thus being unable to pass. Update: Here’s the entire statement from Rep. Jeff:
1) I highly respect the Navajo Nations plan. The Navajo Nation is very concern[ed] about losing representation. They had worked with the Pueblos to come to consensus. They supported the consensus.
2) It showed solidarity to try to work with other tribal governments in NM. But, that consensus plan is no longer on the table for discussion.

3) another plan was implemented. So, I have strong reservations about pushing the Navajo Nations offer aside. That for myself, is a concern. Which, I will be losing high performing precincts. For example, Naschitti, Sheepsprings Chapters I have developed a good working relationship with them.
5) [Their] voting rights are protected by Federal voting rights act. Let’s be realistic. If the Governor doesn’t like this — she’s gonna veto this bill. Where do we up [end] up at? We’re back to square one because of all these concerns. I cannot ignore the Republicans in my district. Thus, let us attempt to work towards a bi-partisan plan. Read full story here: News New Mexico
Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment