Money isn’t the biggest factor in public education

Rob Nikolewski
Capitol Report New Mexico - Into the vast expanse of liberalism, sustainability, cars with “Potters for Peace” bumper stickers and the seemingly infinite number of middle-aged white guys with ponytails I step — a token conservative, selected by The New Mexican editorial brain trust to grace these opinion pages. I’m not complaining about being outnumbered. In the words of Gus McCrae in Lonesome Dove when asked on his deathbed if he wanted his partners to track down the Plains Indians who mortally wounded him, “We got no call to be vengeful, they didn’t invite us here.”
My name is Rob Nikolewski and I knew when I moved to the City Different that liberalism runs deep. More like gallops, but that’s OK.
I edit and write a website called Capitol Report New Mexico, covering the Roundhouse and all things political in this state. I get my paycheck from the Rio Grande Foundation, the free-market think-tank based in Albuquerque, and I generally agree with Thomas Jefferson’s dictum that the government that governs least, governs best.
So, with TJ’s words ringing in our ears, let’s talk about public education.
The results in national surveys consistently place New Mexico in the bottom five of all 50 states in student performance.
“We’ve gotta spend more money,” those on the left say, “for the sake of our children.”
But while New Mexico might get a D or an F on results, when it comes to taxpayer dollars spent on public education, our state earns a solid B. We’re 18th in per-pupil spending. Read rest of column here: News New Mexico

Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment