Stephen Lopez is New Chief of NMSU Police

KRWG - New Mexico State University has hired Stephen Lopez to be chief of the NMSU Police Department. Lopez is the former deputy chief of the department and has served as interim chief since Chief Jaime Chavez retired April 1. His first day as chief was July 5.
"It was my pleasure and honor to select Stephen for this prestigious position as Chief of the NMSU Police Department," said NMSU Senior Vice President for External Relations and Chief of Staff Ben Woods. "As a long-term employee and recent deputy chief, Stephen has been instrumental in creating the department we take so much pride in today.
Lopez began working for the NMSU Police Department as a student in 1987 and became an officer in 1988, following his graduation from NMSU with bachelor's degrees in criminal justice and art in psychology. He also has a master's in strategic planning for Critical Infrastructure from the University of Washington.
Lopez's lengthy career at NMSU was unintentional.
"When I first started out at the police department, my intent was to work for a few years until I was eligible to apply for the FBI. They had a minimum entry age of 23 and a half, and I wanted to get some experience before I reached that age," Lopez said. "In those years, I had an opportunity to work with a lot of people in the department and on campus, and found that working at the local level, you get to make a difference for people and you to get the meet the people you're making a difference for. That's something I really enjoy - to the extent that I never submitted an application to the FBI. I decided to make my career here." Read full story here: News New Mexico
Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment