Erhard pledges to focus on ‘the plight of the people’

Evelyn Madrid Erhard, Candidate for Congress
From NMPolitics.net - by Jeff Berg - “I’m running for congress, and I’m a Democrat,” Evelyn Madrid Erhard offers strongly and convincingly. I ask Erhard, why now? Here’s what she says:“I came to Las Cruces in 1975, and for most of that time the district has been Republican. First it was Joe Skeen and now it is Steve Pearce. They’re always with the Republicans – there was the ‘Contract for America,’ Skeen was there for the start of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Halliburton incidents and so on. Now the Republicans are bringing the U.S. close to failure and deep poverty.” Her website includes this note: “Their agenda was always to take care of their own interests and the interests of the top 1%. They have supported laws that created corporate loopholes and stripped American workers of pension and health insurance benefits.” Because of those concerns, and having received leadership recognition from the Democratic National Committee and being invited to participate in Hispanic leadership conferences, Erhard felt that her time to try and make a big difference had come. Although always a long time political observer – “I remember having an interest in politics starting about the time that JFK was assassinated,” she said – Erhard never really had an opportunity to get involved until the Obama campaign of 2008. “My husband really encouraged me, even though I was busy all the time,” she said. “He knew that I listened to other people’s stories, and when the Obama office opened here in 2008, he told me to go there.” She did, and found herself busy as a volunteer from the first day. She helped sign up more volunteers and assisted in arranging campaign events locally for Obama and former U.S. Congressman Harry Teague, who lost to Pearce in the last election. Her efforts did not go unnoticed, and in 2009, she was one of a handful of supporters to be chosen to meet President Barack Obama at a rally in Rio Rancho. “He did a talk and there were some pictures of us taken with him,” she said. “He called me and encouraged me to continue to work hard, and recently has given me his support for my campaign.” Read more
Share/Bookmark

1 comments:

Jaxon said...

The second a candidate starts carping about the 1% it's an INSTANT non-starter and turn off. Essentially, she's embraced the Obama concept that those who succeed succeed at the expense of those who have less success. She's a loser.

Post a Comment