Swickard: A nation of criminals made by millions of laws

Commentary by Michael Swickard, Ph.D. - "I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." Robert Heinlein  It is thought that what makes America great is that we are a nation of laws. Having laws that are written down allows each of us to know what is expected of us and what we can expect of our government and fellow citizens. That is the good part. The bad part is we have millions upon millions of laws, rules and regulations. Why do we have so many laws, rules and regulations? Because we do not always do what our fellow citizens think we should do. Consider this: if we would act in a certain way without being forced there would be no reason whatsoever for the government to get involved. And there is the rub with our freedom. Every day in every way some busy-body thinks of a new constraint on our actions.  Some rules and some laws make good sense while others seem a giant leap from our senses. Example: I firmly believe that seat belts and air bags have made our lives much safer. And, they would not have been adopted if our government had not lead the charge.  On the other side of smart is the never-ending need of some people to make rules and regulation to keep us safe from ourselves. That is always a journey in the valley of stupid. Recently the New York City government put a ban on sugary drinks that exceed 16 ounces. You can have as many drinks as you want, but only in a 16 ounce cup. So that rule asks: why not buy two drinks if I want 32 ounces of sugar poison? Why indeed.  This imposition of a size of drink is just the nose of the camel under the tent flap. Today the focus is on 16 ounces or less for drinks. Tomorrow, I suspect that sugar drinks will be deader than Elvis. I can see in the coming ages the adage, if it tastes good spit it out because it cannot be good for you.  Read column

Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment