Jennings losing after 34 years, not real surprised

State Senator Tim Jennings
From Capitol Report New Mexico - After 34 years, Tim Jennings is no longer going to be part of New Mexico’s state Senate. “It’s been an awesome, absolutely incredible ride,” the outgoing Democrat and Senate pro tem told Capitol Report New Mexico in a phone interview some 16 hours after he learned that he lost by four percentage points (52-48) to dairy farmer Cliff Pirtle in Senate District 32 in the Roswell area. “I don’t begrude anything.” Well, he does begrudge Gov. Susana Martinez a few things.
“But I think Susana has created a monster,” Jennings said, “exposing hate and destruction around here just like we’re seeing in politics in other states and on the national level that I think is a disservice.”
The Reform New Mexico Now PAC associated with the governor sent negative ads and mailers attacking Jennings, who responded with his own set of blistering ads blasting what it called “outsiders” trying to influence the outcome. Independent groups from both sides jumped into the race that became more intense with eachy passing week.
According to the latest campaign reports from the Secretary of State’s Office, Jennings raised $375,870 – a staggering amount by New Mexico standards — to try to hang on to his seat. Pirtle, the latest records show, raised $64,704.
Late Tuesday night, Pirtle didn’t gloat about his upset. Instead he told Capitol Report New Mexico, “I want to say thank you to Sen. Jennings for 34 years of service and I hope I can earn as much respect with constituents as he earned” and added, “I hope he’s willing to give me some advice and be a mentor for me.”
So, after 34 years of being in the very heart of the vibrant and sometimes raucous Roundhouse scene, will Jennings miss it? “I’ll miss the friendship,” he said. “I was there when it was pure hell in the Senate. It’s not like that anymore. There’s only about 5 or 10 percent of the people there now that you just don’t want to associate with.”
Another phone call was heard in the distance. “I gotta take this call,” Jennings said. “It’s my mom.” Read more
Share/Bookmark

1 comments:

Jaxon said...

How did Jennings vote on issuing drivers licenses to illegal aliens?

Post a Comment