The fortunate government and unfortunate governed

Commentary by Michael Swickard, Ph.D.
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don’t think. Adolf Hitler
     I would not like to live in a society with no government at all nor a society where the government acts with tyranny. Which would I prefer? That is like asking, would I rather be shot at sunrise or sunset? In-between anarchy and tyranny is where I want to live.
     In theory, that is where we are in this country. We have a functioning government and it does not use tyranny on us citizens. A Representative Republic is free of tyranny yet protects us from anarchy. In theory.
     The legitimate role of government in a free society is to provide government services like the military that is necessary. There would not be a country without our military to keep the dogs of other countries away. Take enough from the military and countries of evil intent will come after us.
     Government is good at some things. Still, I do not want government nosing into everything I do. Much is none of their business. More important is that my elected servants not command me. The role reversal where my elected servants tell me what to do is obnoxious at best and treasonous at worst.
     That balance is further complicated by the notion of public service. In theory the reason to be in public service is to serve and make our society better. In theory, if I am a representative by, of and for the people I believe in causes that are greater than myself. I should do my work for the greater good of the society and not just myself. President John Kennedy said, “My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.” Read full column
Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment