Garrett and Zimmerman Differ on Wilderness Bill

Billy Garrett
My Sunday afternoon football watching ritual was interrupted by a knock at the door. When I answered, I greeted a very polite lady campaigning for Billy Garrett, a candidate for County Commission in my district. She let me know that she had left some campaign materials on my doorstep recently and wanted to know if I had had a chance to look at them. I nodded and asked her what her candidate's position was on the so-called "wilderness bill". Her answer was, "He is in favor of it." My body language must have indicated disappointment because she immediately asked me what my concerns were about the bill. My answer was, "border security, range management, and flood control." She smiled and said, "those are the concerns of people opposed to the bill."
John Zimmerman
I then thanked her for coming by and began to close the door when a final question occurred to me. "What is good about that bill?" I asked. Again she smiled and said, "I'll have to think about that." Perhaps she simply wanted to move on to the next house and perhaps she really did want to think about it. However, I was reminded as I returned to my easy chair and reflected on the encounter, that Garrett's opponent John Zimmerman indicated his opposition to the bill on News New Mexico. His reasons were pretty simple. The bill creates danger to our border security, our range management, and our flood control. You can read the bill here:  "Organ Mountains-Desert Peaks Wilderness Act."

Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment