'I always feel safe in El Paso:' Laura Bush spent summers in Canutillo

From the El Paso Times - by Zahira Torres - Former first lady Laura Bush never felt fear when she played outside of her grandparents' home in Canutillo. She was not afraid years ago when she hiked up Mount Cristo Rey to get a closer look at the limestone carving of Christ on the cross, which draws thousands of faithful in pilgrimage each year. And she will again feel at ease next week when she walks along the levee in El Paso's Upper Valley and enjoys the vistas of Juárez. "I feel safe because I've never ever not felt safe in El Paso and in the valley up there around Canutillo, which is where my grandparents lived and where I spent many of my summers," she said in a telephone interview with the El Paso Times. "It never even crossed my mind that I would not be safe in El Paso." Bush will be in El Paso on Friday to share childhood memories of visiting her grandparents in the city, of spending a summer taking classes at Texas Western College (now UTEP), and of building a friendship with famed artist Tom Lea, whose painting "Rio Grande" hung in the Oval Office during President George W. Bush's tenure. The speech titled "My El Paso" will be part of a monthlong celebration of Lea's work. Laura Bush said Lea's love for his hometown, El Paso, is evident not only in the big sky and mountains that he painted but also in his comments about living on the "sunrise side, not the sunset side" of the mountains. "That is something that is so appealing about Tom, how optimistic he was, and that is something also that somehow El Paso expresses," she said. Perhaps her biggest gift to El Paso is becoming the city's highest-profile ally in fighting misconceptions that it is not safe. "I know people are very worried about Juárez and I know there are people who have moved from Juárez across the border," she said, "but El Paso is really one of the safest cities in the United States." Read more
Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment