A.G. Update on 2009 Corruption Cases

Gary King
NMPolitics - by New Mexico Attorney General Gary King - Much has been said and written about the recent court ruling that removed my office from the public corruption prosecution of former N.M. Secretary of State Rebecca Vigil-Giron and three others. I think it is important that New Mexicans understand that the grand jury indictment of these defendants still stands. The prosecution of this case will continue and I am confident that sufficient evidence exists to show beyond a reasonable doubt such crimes have been committed. I also think it is important that New Mexicans know that the judge who disqualified my office from prosecuting the case said he did not believe we did anything improper; he said he saw no evidence of bias or vindictive prosecution; he said he did not see any political agenda in the prosecution; and he said that there was no actual conflict of interest for my office to handle this case.
Rebecca Vigil-Giron
The judge simply said that, in his opinion, there were issues that cast shadows on the process and that, in an important case of government corruption such as this, those shadows had to be removed in order for justice to best be served and for the community to have complete confidence in the judicial process. While I may not necessarily agree with that assessment of potential doubt cast upon the process, I must respect the ruling. Read full column here: News New Mexico

Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment