Dust Devils - Is City Council Planning More Job Killing?

It seems as if some want to deny the stubborn fact that we have low humidity, agriculture, and breezes in this part of the country. Keep your eye on this site for updates on a new "dust ordinance" is being contemplated by City Council. We have included some comments on this idea in our summary of the latest city council meeting. We have seen a copy of an early draft of the ordinance. Many of the provisions appear likely to kill jobs. This idea will raise the costs of construction and cripple the process of rebuilding our job base in this area. Its impact on "dust" in this desert area will be negligible.

Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Developers have not been held accountable for the damage done to our environment. Sure we live in a desert but natural desert has a natural crust. When that crust is removed does the wind pick it up. The comment that a new wind erosion ordinance is "behind the scenes" shows ignorance at best and bias otherwise. Look up the draft on the City site and send your comments in to the City. This Council is the most open than any Council in the past. I have lived in Las Cruces during the rapid growth era when developers had free rein.

Isaac A said...

Well I will tell you what is absurd, I have lived in Las Cruces my entire life with the exception of the 6 yrs I was in the Military. In 2000, I built a home on the East Mesa in the Las Colinas area and for 5 years had little to no dirt problems. In and around 2006 ~ 2007 an out-of-state contractor scraped 40-plus acres of land just behind my home. Now all of my backyard landscaping is covered with 2" to 6" of dirt that has blown in. I am constantly having to get on my roof to sweep, and vacuum all the dirt that collects on it. I love it when I am told "You live in the desert"! Well when you take out all the natural plants, and vegetation you cause issues, lots of issues. Better yet, I have a question--Why hasn't anyone come by my house to write an article about the damage caused to my property, or to other local residents in the area? The answer--They are afraid of the facts on what is really happening. I invite anyone to come out, and see what I have to live with. I have been called an extreme environmentalist due to my efforts of raising awareness about all this disturbed soil and blowing dirt. If that is what it takes to protect my investment, then I will be happy to carry that title.

Mr. Spence I invite you to come out and talk to us home owners about all these land scraped areas. My email is isaac@lc4bt.com

Post a Comment