Baum: What's Behind Hating Extension of Tax Rates?

Caroline Baum
Bloomberg - “Odious” is how senior adviser David Axelrod described President Barack Obama’s acquiescence to extending tax cuts for the rich as part of a deal struck with congressional Republicans.........Certain household chores -- cleaning the toilet, for example -- are odious.
Filling out health insurance forms is another repugnant task. Spending hours on the phone with HP tech support in India ranks high on the odious list. But being allowed to keep money you earned? What is it about tax cuts for the wealthy that so galls the Left? I can’t answer definitely because I don’t share the antipathy. My hunch is that folks who abhor tax cuts for the rich see the economic pie as a fixed quantity. Your gain is my loss. A tax cut, exemption, credit or deduction for you means nothing for me. It’s a zero sum game, except it isn’t. Read full column here:


Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment