Alb Officers Ask Council To Bring Back Take-Home Cars

From KOAT-TV.com - The Albuquerque police union showed up in force to a city council meeting on Wednesday night to express the displeasure of a new rule that forbids officers from taking their cars home if they live more than 11 miles away from the Big-I interchange. "I currently feel like I'm being forced not be a cop," Lt. Jan Olstad said. On Wednesday, several officers wore shirts that said "A Berry Bad Mistake," referring to Mayor Richard Berry. "I drive to work and directly to work. I do not stop and I don’t take any enforcement action. If something happens to my vehicle, State Farm has me down as a non-state vehicle, and I'm not covered," Olstad said. Union members said the new policy makes it more difficult to do police work on their way to and from their shifts. Keeping those police cars in house could help the city save at least $600,000. The savings come from reduced maintenance and fuel. Read more
Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment