Russell: On Liberty, Civility, and the Lessons of History

Brigette Russell
NewsNM note - Brigette Russell will be our guest Wednesday morning at 7:00am.
Capitol Report New Mexico - There is a vast difference between politics and policy. As a columnist, blogger, party activist and candidate for state house, I have been deeply involved in politics. Now, as an analyst, I am just as deeply involved in policy. I pore over education bills written in tedious legalese, along with an army of other analysts. The analyses we produce inflame few passions. Not so my columns. In September 2009, long before I contemplated running for office on a platform of education reform modeled on Florida’s, or had heard of Susana Martinez, who plans to implement that same program here, I wrote a column for the New Mexico Independent praising the Florida reforms. While at the site, I glanced at a few of my old columns, and the comments posted by readers, and was reminded of why at one point I actually stopped reading the comments. Some of them were so insulting, so filled with vicious ad hominem attacks that they were distracting me from concentrating on substantive issues. The insults came from readers on the left, who made up the majority of NMI’s readership and who profoundly disagreed with my conservative positions. Read full column here:
Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment