Pearce Explains Importance of Town Hall Meetings

Steve Pearce
Representing New Mexico’s Second District is an honor, and I am in office to serve you. Town hall meetings allow me to listen to your concerns and hear examples from your daily lives. The meetings also give constituents what they deserve—government accountability, a voice in state and national matters, and a strengthened democracy. Constituent interaction has continued to be my top priority this August. I have held thirteen town hall meetings throughout New Mexico this month, and still have more constituent meetings planned. At each of these meetings, I address issues like Social Security, Medicare, the debt ceiling, and New Mexico jobs and then take questions and ideas from audience members. Thank you to all who have come to our town hall meetings and participated in the discussion. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Additionally, I am very grateful to my constituents who serve in law enforcement. While it is always highly unlikely their assistance will be necessary, their presence provides attendees peace of mind and allows for the focus to be on the issues at hand.
Many of my colleagues have not held any town halls during Congress’ August district work period, and some have asked me why I would keep such a strenuous schedule when Congress isn’t in session. The answer is simple: because I know how important it is for our government to be accountable to the public. It is time to regain the responsibility that has been vanishing from our government by addressing issues with open, honest discussion.
Pearce in Roswell
Although specific concerns have varied slightly from place to place, the underlying sentiment remains the same—New Mexicans are ready for solutions to the debt crisis and unemployment. This effort will take everyone working together to put our state and our nation back on the track to economic security. The simple truth is that New Mexicans want fewer hassles from the government and more secure jobs. Jobs are my top priority in Congress. I know that Washington must focus on job creation and spending cuts to establish economic freedom for individuals and the nation as a whole. This is the only way to solve America’s debt crisis.
In each town, New Mexican families have been telling me how they have reduced their spending and tightened their belts. I know that Washington must follow suit. Additionally, I have heard from small business owners who have recounted their struggles due to excessive government regulation. I have talked to constituents who are worried about government raising taxes. I also received very pointed questions about why I would not agree to raise taxes. Senior citizens have expressed concerns about the longevity of Medicare and Social Security.
Pearce in Las Cruces
I was able to reassure senior citizens that there is no plan in Washington to stop their Social Security and Medicare payments. When questioned about my approach to unemployment and our economic crisis, constituents in town hall meetings heard about small business legislation I have cosponsored and about my plans to renew the timber industry in New Mexico and create jobs. These meetings provided a successful forum for me to tell you about my work in Washington, and for you to tell me about your concerns. They also gave me the chance to hear from those who opposed my views. In a few of the meetings, some attendees expressed strong opinions that we should raise taxes to solve the debt crisis. I listened to this point, but I could not agree with it because tax increases on job creators mean fewer jobs. With 9.1% unemployment, this is not something we can do.
Pearce (second left) in News New Mexico studio
Throughout the course of these meetings, I have heard from many different groups of people, and I will continue to work toward addressing your concerns when I return to Washington after the district work period. The American people are speaking up, and they have strong ideas. It is time for Washington to listen to those ideas and formulate real, common-sense solutions.
This month has already been highly productive. I have enjoyed meeting with my fellow New Mexicans and look forward to more meetings in the future.

Share/Bookmark

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do we need town hall meetings? The only thing that's going to happen there is people will speak their mind and express objections. Politicians have more important issues to address. Unless they focus on raising campaign resources there's a chance their bid for re-election will fail. For obvious reasons, winning re-election is significantly more important than attending public meetings where the voters vent their anger. After all, if these schmucks want government to work for them they need to get off their duff and run for public office. How else do these malcontents expect government will ever work for them? Haven't they ever heard the old saying, "the victor gets spoiled by the spoils"? Listen folks, quit whining about high unemployment, big government and go with the flow of stepping up and applying for all these handouts your elected officials are offering up. At the end of the day it's the rich people we need to pay for all this stuff. Why should we care about them? So what if they took a little risk getting rich? So what if they pay all the taxes? Unless you're rich, get a life and start doing some of the leg work and apply for all these benefits we've earned as American citizens...even if you're not a citizen. America will never run out of money. There's plenty of currency paper stored at the mint. I don't know what the big deal is, forget about it.

Post a Comment