Swickard: Anyone but me on the ballot

Commentary by Michael Swickard, Ph.D. - The only fear I have concerning elections is that I might surrender my good sense and run for political office, any office. Like Sherman, the only person I absolutely do not want to see in office - is me - because I do not have the temperament nor patience. As luck would have it there is no groundswell whatsoever to put me in office. In fact, I am the last person either party would select since I am a neither party independent. From watching politicians serve in office for more than forty years, it is not intelligence that makes a good politician; rather, it is the twofer of temperament and patience. Everything that I lack is what allows politicians to sit sphinx-like in meetings for hours on end. To me that is slow-death. Anyone who can sit quietly with a placid expression for hours in a meeting is either a better person than me or they have brains of custard. This next week is the culmination of the primary season in New Mexico. I have no vote in either primary which is just fine. I do not want to have any say in which R or D is selected for the general election. If the political primary season is any predictor, this will be a mean-spirited general election. Usually members of the same party only bring out the long knives behind closed doors. Not this year, with the exception of the Balderas/Heinrich race. This Christmas there will be far fewer cards sent within political parties. Read column

Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment