Williams: "Civility" Has a Short Shelf Life

Armstrong Williams
Townhall - Two points jump out at me as I watch the union protests in Wisconsin. First the “new era of civility” is over, and secondly, that union myrmidons continue to put their own self-interests above the rest of the taxpayers and nation. If you recall after the Gifford shooting last month, the left was quick to vilify the right for so-called vitriol and hostile rhetoric. They claimed Loughner to be the poster child for what happens to normal folks that listen to too much Limbaugh and Hannity. Except, we found out that was all a red herring; Loughner turned out to be fairly an apolitical nut job. But still, everyone from CNN to President Obama demanded that we “tone down the rhetoric.” Yet today I see Obama accuse Gov. Walker of an “assault on unions.” Sounds like violent rhetoric to me.
I also see that the union protesters are carrying signs comparing Walker and the Republicans to Mubarack and Nazis, as well as several with Walker in target crosshairs. Well, I guess it was a nice, “civil” 3 weeks. Civility is not the main concern that the protests reveal, but I do find it both amusing and disappointing at the same time. The most glaring issue that these protests demonstrate is a classic case of “good enough for thee but not for me.” Union members and their leaders don’t care if folks in the private sector are suffering from the bad economy. Read full column here: News New Mexico
Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment